Monday, November 5, 2007

New blog, no money.



This is tough.

I started this blog because my other on-line journal, "Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction" lost all meaning due to dark times of failure and corporate betrayal.

Blogspot is not as pretty as Art in the Age, and although it is nice that Blogspot is free it also does not pay me anything. This blog has no budget, come here a lot and maybe I can change that, even buy a new location and pay some brilliant web genius to design a page worthier of your aesthetic sensibilities. But, comrades! if you can't judge a book by it's cover, I think it follows that you can't judge a blog by where it's hosted.

You may have noticed that this blog is once again titled after an art essay, this time "One Culture and the New Sensibility" by Susan Sontag. The whole essay is pseudo-reasonably summed up by this quote:

"From the vantage point of this new sensibility, the beauty of a machine or of the solution to a mathematical problem, of a painting by Jasper Johns, of a film by Jean-Luc Godard, and of the personalities and music of the Beatles is equally accessible. "



So what you're reading here is a blog that is not a snob in any of the traditional ways. This web-log may review some Alex Katz on the same day that it asks you to appreciate horribly-taken photographs of cheeseburgers (this blog loves nothing so much as a digital camera with a flash), it asks you to do this because it believes that's the way people are beginning to see things anyways. We are becoming one big schizophrenic culture-monster, and rather then belittle this way of seeing the world, this blog wants to find out if we can use it to actually understand the world (and each other) a little better. Also, I don't really want this to be a one-woman show, if you like me please help me out.

Also this blog is mostly about art and culture in Philadelphia, that's where I live, that's what I love, and that's what I want to bring into the discussion with the rest of the world but I care about shit that happens all over the global town.

No comments: