Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I am 27. I make art.



For all of those who haven't followed me from blog to blog a little art introduction; I just had a little art show at Padlock Gallery in Philadelphia. It was called "27" in honor of the fact that I turned 27 the day before the show. Lately I have been drawing large groups of people composed of people I know and people I find on the internet or in glossy mags, these drawings don't photograph well for me. I also produce "floral arrangements", copy essays, and draw (mostly flowers) on sheets. This show was accompanied by a little zine called "Ordinary People Can Typically Gain Power by Acting Collectively."

I dedicate my most recent work to Edward Gorey, Philip K. Dick, and Susan Sontag, but a big inspiration for my recent thought processes has been the books Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut and The Lives of the Artists by Giorgio Vasari.

Basically my thesis is art takes time and you judge an artist on a life's work, this is a problem if you want to live and eat on a daily basis so you have to find a way to do that:



You'll have to excuse my love of pictures with lots of flash--this is what you'd see when you walked into the gallery, a mirror's eye-view of "Portal of History" which is a beaded curtain made out of tapes of my recorded voice reading The Lives of the Artists.



Outside of the mirror, you cannot read Giorgio Vasari.



A detail.



The right side of the gallery.



"Decorative Element", a drawing on a sheet.



"Flower Arrangement 12"



"Yellow Sign Menu"



Detail.



"Spiderman" I was planning on naming this piece Black Flag but Jasper Johns might already have one like it, plus I already reference Raymond Pettibone--I'm punk rock at heart but this piece is about claiming responsibility for the place you live in and the mess you have allowed that place to make. Think of the ending scene in the first Spiderman movie.

Now some bad flicks of my drawings:



"Dial 481" everyone's favorite, it refers to a mood you can dial in Philp K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. The mood is about coming out of despair and seeing endless possibilities for the future.



Detail.



"Really Full Subway Car" This flick is so terrible you can't see anything, basically many people are in the subway car, which floats in a sea of thoughts.



Detail. There was also one other drawing that I didn't even attempt to photograph.

Special thanks to Fabric Horse for writing my show up!

That's me, now let's talk about the rest of the world.